Ferry captain used 118tonne vessel to ram dinghy after finding his parking

Mr Cain told the court: “I wanted to turn my boat around to leave, but I had only turned 90 degrees when the ferry hit me. Oliver Jarvis, 35, denies the allegations against him Stuart Cain said he feared for his life after being hit by the ferry Mr Cain, who wore a cast on his hand for five weeks, alleges that Jarvis left the ferry without checking on his well being.The trial continues. Stuart Cain said he feared for his life after being hit by the ferryCredit:BNPS A ferry captain used his 118-tonne vessel to crush a dinghy and injure its driver after a parking row erupted in Poole Harbour, a court has heard.Oliver Jarvis was carrying passengers back from Brownsea Island, Dorset, on board the 50ft-long Maid of Poole when he found he was unable to moor in his usual space on September 17 2017.It was being occupied by a small rigid inflatable boat (RIB), owned by Stuart Cain, a video production company director, who had disembarked to get fish and chips with two friends.The 35-year-old ferry master sounded his horn as he tried to guide his vessel towards its berth, yelling at Mr Cain, 52, to move his boat, Bournemouth Crown Court heard.But once Mr Cain jumped into the dinghy, he heard the ferry’s engine restart and found himself fearing for his life as he was allegedly rammed into the harbour wall.The businessman suffered a badly bruised hand and whiplash injuries, while his 12ft-long dinghy was left damaged, a jury heard.Jarvis, of Lagland Court, Poole, is accused of causing damage to a ship and operating a vessel in a way that could cause injury or destruction, charges which carry a maximum two year jail sentence and an unlimited fine. He denies the allegations. “That’s the point things changed, I realised I was in quite a dangerous position. I could hear a lot of engine noise and a lot of churning water and I was in a hole between two boats.”I basically fought for my life to get out of there. I took physical action, trying to fend his ferry off, I physically pushed it away.”That was the only defence I had at the time. It had a small impact, enough for me to drop my engine into the water and get it started.”His hand was all the while being crushed between the ferry and his engine, but he managed to wriggle it free and was hit again as he tried to open up the throttle, the court was told. Oliver Jarvis, 35, denies the allegations against himCredit:BNPS “Because I was under power I basically shot out the back,” he said.”It was an instinctive reaction but I think that’s probably what saved my life.”The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the prosecuting agency, said the episode lasted between 10 and 15 seconds.The court heard Mr Cain’s small boat weighed just 170lbs and can carry three people. The Maid of Poole weighs 118 tonnes and can carry 186 passengers. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. read more