Jalen Green is the Slam Dunk king. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOEven before Jalen Green claimed his rightful throne as the 2018 Darlington NBTC Slam Dunk king, he had already delivered one of his most memorable slams in the tournament.The 6-foot-5 guard from San Joaquin Memorial High School went up for a tomahawk dunk over the 7-foot-1 Kai Sotto in the third quarter of the 2018 Darlington NBTC Division 1 All-Star Game Friday, sending everyone at Mall of Arena on their feet.ADVERTISEMENT In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Unfortunately for Green, Sotto had the last laugh as Team Cherifer Hustle got the 99-91 win against Team Cherifer Heart.Sotto chipped in 15 points, seven rebounds, and two blocks for his side against Green’s 11 markers, two boards, and two assists.Still, the Fresno native relished this rare experience to compete with the best high school talents in the country.“It’s been great. Since I came here, the competition has been good, better than the States, honestly. They don’t call ticky-tack fouls, they let you play and that’s what I like to do. I like to come out and play aggressive the whole time. Teaming up with the best players in the Philippines is always good,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Sotto, however, downplayed the exchange and even asked his teammate Dave Ildefonso: “Bakit big deal yun? (Why is that a big deal?)”Of course, whenever a 7-foot giant gets dunked on is sure to hit the headlines.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkGreen, who woed the crowd with his electrifying dunks in his run in the National Finals, though, said that all he wanted was to give the crowd a show.“I was gonna come out and put on a show for people who haven’t seen me play. I owe it to the boys to put on the effort to come out and give it my all,” he said. MOST READ LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles03:22SEA Games 2019: Charly Suarez stops Burmese foe, advances to boxing semi02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims View comments Jalen Green rules NBTC slam dunk Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback
Allen didn’t help kill the six to eight dogs that failed to perform well, prosecutors said. The details outlined in the indictment against Vick and related court filings fueled a public backlash against the Atlanta Falcons star and cost him several lucrative endorsement deals, even before he agreed to plead guilty to the dogfighting conspiracy charge. In his plea, Vick admitted to helping kill the underperforming pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he didn’t personally place any bets or share in any winnings. The NFL suspended him indefinitely and without pay. Vick and his co-defendants still face state felony dogfighting charges.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.U.S. Attorney Michael Gill recommended that Allen spend no time in prison if he complies with conditions of the plea agreement because Allen cooperated with the investigation, had no prior criminal record and had limited involvement with Bad Newz Kennels. But U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson said he isn’t bound by that recommendation, and must take into account federal sentencing guidelines in the case. As part of his plea, Allen admitted in a statement that he sold a female pit bull named Jane in 2001 to Bad Newz Kennels in rural Surry County, and traveled with Vick’s dogfighting associates to Jane’s fights. In 2003, Bad Newz Kennels entered Jane in a “champion dog fight” – meaning she was fighting for her third consecutive win. Jane won the “champion” purse in a fight over another female pit bull. The winning purse is not known, according to documents filed by prosecutors. Allen also is accused of advising Vick and his co-defendants on managing and caring for pit bulls used in the rural Surry County dogfighting operation, and helping Vick and his associates pit their dogs against each other to determine which ones were good fighters, according to the document, filed by the U.S. attorney’s office. RICHMOND, Va. – A man who sold a champion pit bull to suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick’s dogfighting operation pleaded guilty Wednesday to a federal dogfighting charge. Oscar Allen entered the plea to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce to aid in illegal gambling and to sponsor a dog in animal fighting – the same charge to which Vick and his three co-defendants in the Bad Newz Kennels operation pleaded guilty. Vick is expected to be sentenced in December. The 67-year-old Allen, who lives in the Williamsburg area, is to be sentenced Jan. 25, 2008. He faces a maximum punishment of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years’ supervised release. He was released with conditions, including a prohibition on buying or selling any dogs.
17 Febuary 2010 Announcing measures to cut down on tender fraud during his Budget speech on Wednesday, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said a ministerial task team would help the government save R6.5-billion this year and a total of R23-billion over the next three years. Gordhan told Parliament in Cape Town that the savings exercise being conducted by the task team should be seen as a “first step to getting better value for money”. “Too often, the culture in the public service and in state-owned enterprises is to ratchet up salaries, spend on frills, travel in luxury, and spend more on marketing the agency than in fixing the service,” he said. He added that the task team was also looking at the possibility of rationalising some government entities and agencies. “The resources that we have at our disposal belong to the people. If we do not use these wisely and sensibly, our contract with the people is eroded,” he said.Task team members The task team comprises Gordhan, Minister in the Presidency for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Collins Chabane, and Public Service and Administration Minister Richard Baloyi. The task team releases a preliminary report during the tabling of the Medium Term Budget Policy Statement in October. After making initial savings of R14.5-million over three years at national level, the task team announced on Wednesday that it had identified further savings, bringing the total savings over three years to R23-billion. This included R6.5 billion in the coming financial year, R8.6-billion in 2011/12, and R7.9-billion in 2012/13. The provinces would be able to save R12.6-billion over this period.‘Fraud-proofing’ state procurement processes The task team is also preparing a set of recommendations to strengthen and “fraud-proof” the state’s procurement processes. The recommendations will require a review of supply chain policies, and include streamlining the approval of major government contracts, as well as training officials in best practices. Measures to be introduced will include blacklisting companies and individuals involved in corrupt practices, as well as improving investigating and prosecuting capabilities. A supply chain compliance unit has also been set up in the National Treasury, which will work with the police’s Special Investigating Unit (SIU) to investigate tenders where there is suspicion of corruption. An inter-ministerial task team has also been established to co-ordinate anti-corruption initiatives. Supply chain compliance unit In a media briefing before the Budget Speech, Gordhan said the supply chain compliance unit had outlined five trends around fraud in the procurement system. These included tender procedures not being followed, goods or services procured to government at inflated prices, government officials benefiting from tenders, government agencies and departments ordering unnecessary goods and services, and payments not being made to service providers. Citing a recent example, Gordhan said the government had paid R16-million to a service provider who had not even rendered the necessary services. The team was also currently working with the SIU on four investigations involving contracts worth R2-billion in total. He said the team had already helped two provinces save R500-million by looking at current contracts, and had also uncovered 1 200 government employees that had participated in tax and tender fraud. Source: BuaNews