People urged to stay at home tonight

first_img Twitter People urged to stay at home tonight RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Health Experts are urging people not to attend New Years celebrations tonight.The Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tony Holohan says it’s essential that everyone restricts their movements, and stays at home.Dr Ray Walley, GP Advisor to the HSE, says house parties will absolutely cause further people to get sick………Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/08walley-virus.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.1,718 new cases of Covid-19 were detected in the Republic yesterday – the highest since the start of the pandemic. 150 of the new caases were in Donegal.The estimated national 14-day incidence rate of the disease is now 272, while Donegal’s rate is just under double that at 520.Last night there were 466 people with the disease in the country’s hospitals, 38 of them at Letterkenny University Hospital. Of those, three were in being treated in Intensive Care. WhatsApp Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic AudioHomepage BannerNews Facebookcenter_img Pinterest WhatsApp Pinterest By News Highland – December 31, 2020 Facebook News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Twitter Previous articleFull Level 5 restrictions being implemented from tonightNext articleBrexit trade deal comes into effect tonight News Highland last_img read more

MBB : Out of focus: Magnitude of Florida game lost in wake of sex abuse scandal

first_imgBy Friday, it will have been 15 days of wall-to-wall coverage. Spanning four games, a national holiday and a trip to New York City, the dark cloud hovering over the Syracuse men’s basketball program is unrelenting.The No. 4 team in the nation, undefeated at 7-0, continues to play second fiddle to the sex abuse scandal surrounding its former associate head coach, Bernie Fine.‘The only thing we can do is just go out there and play basketball and get them to talk about us and not this,’ sophomore guard Dion Waiters said. ‘And that’s what we’re trying to do. You know it’s going to be around for a while. The only thing we can do is continue to keep winning and get back focused on the Syracuse basketball team.’On Friday, Syracuse hosts No. 10 Florida (5-1) in a matchup of top-10 teams that will be Syracuse’s biggest game of the season so far. But in the wake of Fine’s dismissal from the university following allegations of molestation by three individuals, the Orange’s on-court performance is continually overlooked. Head coach Jim Boeheim and the players insist they are not distracted by the hoopla and hysteria of the situation, but Friday’s game in Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. with the Gators will be a much more difficult test than any other Syracuse has faced this season.Boeheim ended an intense 20-minute press conference following Tuesday’s win over Eastern Michigan and former SU assistant coach Rob Murphy by addressing the idea of possible distractions going forward.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAnd much like he did following the Orange’s blowout win over Colgate on Nov. 19 — two days after the original news broke on ESPN — Boeheim continued to assert that the whirlwind going on outside the program has no bearing on his team’s preparation.‘The last thing I’d like to cover, because I’ve heard this a lot — the players will not be distracted,’ Boeheim said. ‘We may not win every game. If we lose a game, it’s not going to be because they’re distracted. They’re going to play. We’ll keep them focused.‘I think people talk about focus, whether it’s this or distractions — whatever it is. Those are excuses. We do not make excuses.’The allegations and ensuing investigation of Fine come during a season in which Boeheim has arguably one of his most talented teams ever during his 36-year tenure. He’s acknowledged that it’s definitely one of his deepest teams, with nine players averaging more than 13 minutes per game, and the team has its sights set on winning a national championship.Yet the undefeated start, NIT Season Tip-Off title and scoring margin of plus-26.1 points are overlooked. The focus has turned away from the high level of basketball played by the Orange and landed on stomach-turning allegations of sexual abuse against a man who has been a staple in the SU program since the 1970s.‘I think it’s unfortunate more than anything, to happen to a program like us,’ SU guard Brandon Triche said. ‘Just for the type of media attention we’re getting, it’s tough. But we just have to stay focused and focus on basketball.’Despite all the assurances from Boeheim and his players that concentration won’t be inhibited, it’s difficult to imagine that the swarm of media isn’t on anyone’s mind.After the game against Colgate, Triche and Scoop Jardine both talked about having to use alternate entrances to the Carrier Dome and Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center to avoid the press. And with Tuesday’s game playing host to what seemed like double the amount of media, Boeheim and the players were questioned relentlessly about the situation with Fine.For Waiters, it has become old hat.‘You could see it on TV so much now, the only thing you could say is like, ‘What’s new?” Waiters said. ‘We’re just focusing on this game by game and going out and trying to play hard and get better as a group.’Friday’s game against the Gators isn’t a contest SU can skate through. It’s not Colgate or Manhattan or Fordham. Florida is a team with legitimate talent, led by a stellar backcourt of Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton.It’s a game that a lack of focus — if in fact there is one — will doom the Orange. And should SU lose, the deluge of questions about distractions will pour in once again.‘It’s been crazy, but at the end of the day, the only thing we can focus on is basketball,’ Waiters said. ‘Like coach Boeheim said, it’s about us as a team. It’s times like this that we can bring it together and have each others’ backs. That’s what we try to do.’[email protected] Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentscenter_img Published on November 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @Michael_Cohen13last_img read more

Salah goes from Chelsea flop to African king

first_imgEgypt’s Mohamed Salah vies for the ball against Congo’s Tobias Badila during their World Cup 2018 Africa qualifying match between Egypt and Congo at the Borg el-Arab stadium in Alexandria on October 8, 2017. AFP PHOTO Accra, Ghana | AFP | It took Liverpool and Egypt star Mohamed Salah just three years to transform from a Chelsea reject to being crowned African Player of the Year in Ghana Thursday.Salah failed to blossom after moving from Swiss outfit Basel to Stamford Bridge, leading to him being lent to Serie A sides Fiorentina and AS Roma, then sold to the latter.At Roma, his career took off as he scored 29 goals in two seasons and created 17 others to draw the attention of several English Premier League suitors.Liverpool made a successful £34.3 million (about $46.5 million; 38.5 million euros) bid and Salah has not looked back since, scoring 23 goals in 29 matches in all competitions.He has made a habit of bagging braces with the most recent helping Liverpool come from behind at home to edge Leicester City 2-1 last month.Seventeen of the goals have come in the Premier League, placing him second in the scorers’ charts, only one goal behind Harry Kane of Tottenham Hotspur.Apart from his Liverpool exploits, Salah last year helped resurgent Egypt finish Africa Cup of Nations runners-up and reach the World Cup for the first time since 1990.The African Player of the Year title completed an awards hat-trick after he was named BBC African Footballer of the Year in December and Arab Player of the Year earlier this week.It is a far cry from a few years ago when Salah was doubting whether he could ever become a regular scorer in a major European league.“Mohamed has been absolutely amazing and gives Liverpool a different dimension because his pace gets him behind defenders,” said former Liverpool star Ian Rush.“Before the arrival of Salah, opponents of Liverpool were happy in the knowledge that no one was going past them.”Another former Liverpool star, Gary McAllister, said the Egyptian combined individual skill with teamwork.“Mohamed has wonderful flair, but also works effortlessly for the side and is very much a team player.“He works his socks off for the badge and that is what really impresses me. He is also capable of scoring from all areas of the pitch.”Most Egyptian stars eventually play for one of the Cairo club giants — Al Ahly or Zamalek — before considering a move to Europe.But Salah never lined up for the “Red Devils” of Ahly or the “White Knights” of Zamalek, turning out for less fashionable El Mokawloon instead in the Egyptian capital.His goals attracted the attention of Basel, who signed him after Egyptian domestic football was suspended in 2012 when a football-related Port Said riot claimed more than 70 lives.He played for Egypt at under-20 and under-23 levels before making his senior debut and was the leading 2018 World Cup qualifying scorer in Africa with five goals. *****Complete list of winners at the 2017 Confederation of African Football (CAF) awards ceremony in Accra Thursday:Player of the Year1. Mohamed Salah (Egypt, Liverpool/ENG), 2. Sadio Mane (Senegal, Liverpool/ENG), 3. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon, Borussia Dortmund/GER)Women’s Player of the YearAsisat Oshoala (Nigeria, Dalian Quanjian/CHN)Youth Player of the YearPatson Daka (Zambia, Liefering/AUT)Coach of the YearHector Cuper (Egypt)Club of the YearWydad Casablanca (Morocco)National Team of the YearEgyptWomen’s National Team of the YearSouth Africa Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Sidewalk Receives Grant from Thurston County Realtors Association

first_imgFacebook128Tweet0Pin0Submitted by SideWalkSideWalk is pleased to announce it has received a $16,500 Housing Opportunity Grant from the Thurston County Realtors Association (TCRA) and National Association of Realtors (NAR). These funds will support SideWalk’s Rapid Rehousing program, which provides short-term rental assistance to people in our community who are experiencing homelessness.“This grant and partnership will allow us to continue our efforts to end homelessness in Thurston County by the end of the decade. For an average of just $1,200, we can get someone off the streets and into permanent, private market housing. Thanks to TCRA and NAR funds, we have the potential to make a difference in the lives of at least a dozen people,” shares Anna Robinson, Development Director for SideWalk.SideWalk is a local organization on a mission to end homelessness in Thurston County. We combine volunteerism and intensive community engagement with data-driven, evidence based methods to accomplish our mission. SideWalk has housed over 500 people in less than three years. To learn more about how you can donate, volunteer, or support, please visit www.walkthurston.org.last_img read more