Calabasas’ doubles lineup closely resembled the one that Kinberg relied on during last season’s run to the Div. I title. The only thing that prevented Kinberg from having her entire 12-player team available for the first time in seven matches was the absence of Jana Lipson, who is ill. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “I thought this might be the first chance we had to have everyone together, but Jana was sick,” said Kinberg, whose team extended its winning streak to 28 matches with a 17-1 Marmonte League victory over Westlake. “So now we won’t have everyone until (the week of Oct. 17).” Calabasas (7-0), the Daily News’ top-ranked team, plays host to Simi Valley today, but it will do so without Helen Kolpakov, who on Wednesday told Kinberg she had a college interview today. The Coyotes play three matches next week, but McVitty isn’t scheduled to compete. She’ll be in Tulsa, Okla., competing in the Chanda Rubin Pan American Closed ITF Junior Classic. Less than 90 minutes into Wednesday’s match, McVitty and Wiesener already had their gear packed up and were ready to go, having swept their all their sets by 6-0 scores. “Their sets took, like, 10 minutes each,” Kinberg said. When Kim Kinberg looked out at the courts Wednesday at Westlake High, the Calabasas’ girls’ tennis coach almost saw the lineup she anticipates having during the Southern Section Div. I playoffs. Almost. Kristen McVitty, who verbally committed to Virginia last week, made her long-awaited season debut at No. 1 singles for the Coyotes, allowing Erin Wiesener to play in her normal No. 2 position. McVitty was scheduled to debut Thursday against Agoura, but the match was postponed because of poor air quality stemming from the Topanga Fire. The Westlake match originally was scheduled for Tuesday, but it was postponed because for observance of Rosh Hashana. Keeping the streak alive: Since Calabasas joined the Marmonte League at the beginning of the decade, the Coyotes have dominated the competition. Calabasas still has a long way to go to match the tradition of Westlake, which has reached the Southern Section playoffs 27 consecutive years. Westlake coach Connie Flanderka is doing all she can to help her young team make that 28 in a row, although the Warriors (3-4, 2-2) didn’t do themselves any favors losing to Agoura 80-74 on games after a 9-9 tie Sept. 22. “This year is unlike any other year for us,” Flanderka said. “I lost 10 seniors from last year, and I’ve never had to replace that many kids.” Kate Edwards (soccer commitments) and Tiffany Russell (academic demands) also decided not to return, leaving Flanderka with only two players with varsity experience. “I’ve been working on trying to get them to really push toward the goal (of making the playoffs),” she said. “(Having four automatic playoff berths) is good for us, because we’re going to fighting all the way for one of those three spots behind Calabasas.” No signs of panic: After losing only once in 47 contests, Campbell Hall of North Hollywood has suffered three consecutive setbacks. Coach Steve Kuechel isn’t worried about his team’s chances of reaching a fourth consecutive Div. III final. The Vikings (6-3), who entered the week as the top-ranked team in Div. III, lost 10-8 Monday to No. 2 Brentwood, doing so with No. 3 singles player Alison Wagner competing in doubles because she was sick. “Sure, I hate to lose, but our girls were very positive after,” Kuechel said. “Alison had a really bad flu, and she could barely move out there, but she showed me something. If I’m putting one of my top singles players in doubles, and they have their whole team, and we’re only losing 10-8, that tells me not a whole lot of teams (in our division) are going to be better than us.” Erik Boal, (818) 713-3607 [email protected] TOP 10 (Records through Wednesday) 1. Calabasas 7-0 2. Harvard-Westlake 2-2 3. Campbell Hall 6-3 4. Chaminade 6-1 5. Valencia 10-2 6. Thousand Oaks 5-2 7. Notre Dame 6-2 8. La Canada 8-2 9. Oak Park 7-1 10. Agoura 5-2 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Asuncion: Argentina star Lionel Messi was banned from playing for his national team for three months and fined 50,000 on Friday by CONMEBOL after he heavily criticized the South American football governing body during the Copa America. The 32-year-old Barcelona forward had accused CONMEBOL of “corruption” after he was sent off against Chile during the third-place play-off during the tournament in Brazil, which ended last month. Messi was angered by two incidents during the June-July Copa hosted by bitter rivals Brazil. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh Argentina were denied two penalty claims in their 2-0 semi-final defeat to the hosts, after which Messi claimed Brazil were “managing a lot in CONMEBOL these days.” And when he was harshly dismissed in the next game, which Argentina went on to win 2-1, he couldn’t contain his anger. “Corruption and the referees are preventing people from enjoying the football and they’re ruining it a bit,” Messi said. He was given his marching orders after a first-half scuffle with Chile captain Gary Medel in which television pictures suggested he’d done little wrong. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later The CONMEBOL statement on its website didn’t specify why Messi was being punished but said it was related to articles 7.1 and 7.2 of its disciplinary regulations. One such clause refers to “offensive, insulting behavior or making defamatory protests of any kind.” Another clause mentions “breaching the decisions, directives or orders of the judicial bodies.” The ban means only that Messi will miss a handful of friendly matches as Argentina’s next competitive fixture is not until the South American qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar begin in March. However, he has already received a one-game ban from CONMEBOL for his red card against Chile meaning he’ll miss the first of those. Argentina have two friendlies lined up in the United States in September against Chile and Mexico and another in October away to Germany. Messi would miss all three of those but be free to play for his country again in November.
FREDERICTON – New Brunswick schools will no longer sell chocolate milk and juice, joining a continent-wide trend toward healthier school lunches.A new nutrition policy unveiled Wednesday requires foods of a higher nutritional value, which are lower in saturated fat, sugar and sodium for public schools.The government says it applies to all food and beverages offered in public schools — including breakfast and lunch programs, vending machines, canteens, snacks and fundraisers.Flavoured milk and juices will no longer be sold, served or offered.“It is important that we … teach them what a proper meal looks like,” Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Brian Kenny said in a statement.New Brunswick is among at least six provinces that have banned junk food from schools over the last 12 years, and a report released last summer said the measure is having a positive impact on student health.Philip Leonard, a health economist at the University of New Brunswick, found that students banned from making junk food purchases at school for five or more years were, on average, about two pounds lighter than students who did not face a ban.He said younger students showed the most positive results, but noted that probably stems from the fact that older students have more opportunity to leave the school grounds to get food from other sources.In 2005, New Brunswick became the first province to impose a junk food ban inside its schools.Prince Edward Island followed suit later that year. Nova Scotia and Quebec did the same in 2007, followed by British Columbia in 2008 and Ontario in 2011.Using World Health Organization standards, Statistics Canada says close to one third — 31.5 per cent — of Canadian children and youth were classified as overweight or obese between 2009 to 2011.One carton of chocolate milk includes about 40 per cent of the recommended daily allowance of sugar in a child’s diet, critics say.But Marlene Schwartz, director of the University of Connecticut Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, said last year banning chocolate milk might not be the best choice for every school.There are students who strongly prefer flavoured milk and who might have nutritional deficiencies, Schwartz said. It might make more sense to offer chocolate milk to such children ensure they get the calcium, vitamin D and potassium they need, she said.“You kind of have to know your student body,” Schwartz said. “Districts have to make an informed decision.”San Francisco’s school district recently banned chocolate milk, extending an earlier ban on soft drinks.In 2011, the Los Angeles Unified district banned chocolate milk, citing the same argument against extra sugar as San Francisco.But the largest district in California reversed course after a pilot study found offering chocolate milk again would increase milk consumption and reduce waste.It put chocolate milk back in all the district’s schools in 2017.