Aberdeen pays £20m for BPI

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

The wizard of Oz

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Biden says he’s ‘not going anywhere’ after poor Iowa showing

first_imgBiden, 77, said every Democrat running for the House of Representatives or Senate this year would have to carry the label “socialist” if Sanders became the Democratic nominee. An independent, Sanders calls himself a democratic socialist.Buttigieg, 38, held a narrow lead over Sanders, 78, in the Iowa caucuses, according to partial results released on Wednesday. Problems with an app used for vote counting had delayed a final count. Warren, 70, placed third.There was more confusion later in the day when the party released new figures showing the four top candidates on roughly the same percentages, but then tweeted that there would shortly be “a minor correction to the last batch of results,” without giving an explanation.BUTTIGIEG AHEADAs of early Wednesday evening, the Iowa Democratic Party said 86.1% of precincts had reported their results, showing that Buttigieg, who would be the first openly gay US president if elected, had 26.7% of state delegate equivalents, the data traditionally reported to determine the winner. Sanders had 25.4%, Warren was at 18.3%, and Biden garnered 15.9%.Sanders was slightly ahead of Buttigieg in the Iowa popular vote, which is not used to determine the delegates who will formally choose the nominee at the Democratic National Convention in July.After more than a year of campaigning and spending more than $800 million, the results in Iowa had been expected to provide some answers for Democrats desperately trying to figure out how to beat the businessman-turned-president.But the delay has blunted the momentum of the state’s eventual winner. The partial results have been released in batches on Tuesday and Wednesday and the Iowa Democratic Party has not said when it will announce the rest.Buttigieg has argued it is time for a new generation of leaders and that his lack of experience in Washington makes him an ideal candidate to break the partisan gridlock there.But he might struggle to win in New Hampshire, where Sanders leads in many opinion polls, and in the next Democratic primary in South Carolina on Feb. 29 where Biden expects to receive strong backing from the African-American vote.Biden accused Buttigieg, 38, of being insufficiently supportive of the achievements of the Obama administration and cast doubt on his experience.“It’s a risk – to be just straight up with you – for this party to nominate someone who’s never held an office higher than mayor of a town of 100,000 people in Indiana,” said Biden, who was President Barack Obama’s vice president for eight years.Jeannie Collins, 34, who works in human resources in Manchester, New Hampshire, said she was leaning toward voting for Sanders but agreed withBiden’s concern that the senator may be too left wing for many Americans.That concern was more likely to make her vote for Buttigieg rather than Biden, she said.“I just feel like it’s time for the younger generation. That’s why I really like Buttigieg,” she said. She described Sanders as “older but his views are younger.”Two other Biden opponents – Warren and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg – released ads on Wednesday highlighting their ties to Obama in a move to pick up Biden supporters who may be reconsidering after his poor performance in Iowa.Warren’s advertisement about her creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau during Obama’s administration uses narration from the former president praising Warren as being “very tough” and “one of the country’s fiercest advocates for the middle class.”Bloomberg’s advertisement quotes Obama praising the former mayor’s work on gun control and education, saying he has shown “what can be achieved when we bring people together to seek pragmatic solutions.”Topics : Former US Vice President Joe Biden vowed on Wednesday to go on fighting for the Democratic presidential nomination despite what he called the “gut punch” he took in Iowa, where partial results show the political veteran lagging in fourth place.”I am not going to sugarcoat it: We took a gut punch in Iowa. The whole process was a gut punch,” Biden said in Somersworth, New Hampshire, where he was campaigning. “This isn’t the first time in my life that I’ve been knocked down.”With 86.1% of precincts reporting from Monday’s caucuses, Biden was behind Pete Buttigieg and US senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren in the first nominating contest of the 2020 campaign. Biden, who bills himself as the most electable Democratic candidate to take on Republican President Donald Trump on Nov. 3, led many national polls in the run-up to Iowa and has a host of high-profile endorsements.But his campaign is in trouble.”There are an awful lot of folks out there who wrote off this campaign…They’ve been trying to do that from the moment I entered the race. Well, I’ve got news for them. I’m not going anywhere,” Biden said.In an unusually direct address, Biden took aim at Sanders and at Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, as he tried to recover ahead of the New Hampshire state primary next Tuesday.last_img read more

PREMIUMTourism sector suffers $1.5 billion losses as Covid-19 hits hard

first_imgFacebook Indonesia tourism hotels restaurant impact coronavirus epidemic loss LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Forgot Password ? Topics : Linkedin Log in with your social account The Indonesian tourism sector has suffered losses of at least US$1.5 billion since January as cancelations have hit the industry, especially hotels, amid growing fears over the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, an industry source has said.Chairman of the Indonesia Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI) Hariyadi B. Sukamdani said that of the total estimated losses, about $1.1 billion occurred as a result of cancelations made by tourists from China and the remaining $400 million resulted from cancelations made by tourists from other countries.“The losses are growing as people prefer to stay at home rather than going on vacation,” Hariyadi, who also chairs the Indonesia Employer’s Association (Apindo), said in Jakarta on Thursday.He said that other related businesses such as the suppliers of hotels for their daily operations, which mostly comprise small- and … Googlelast_img read more

First US Congress member tests positive for coronavirus

first_imgA Florida lawmaker became the first member of the US Congress to test positive for the novel coronavirus on Wednesday.Representative Mario Diaz-Balart’s office said in a statement that “just a short while ago, he was notified that he has tested positive for COVID-19.”The Republican, who represents part of Miami, follows Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, who announced that he had tested positive for coronavirus last week. Topics : Diaz-Balart said that he had entered into quarantine and was working from his Washington apartment.”I want everyone to know that I am feeling much better. However, it is important that everyone take this extremely seriously and follow CDC guidelines in order to avoid getting sick and mitigate the spread of this virus,” he said.The United States so far has just over 7,300 cases and more than 110 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University tracker.last_img read more

Indonesia records 973 new COVID-19 cases as East Java becomes new epicenter

first_imgCOVID-19 national task force chief Doni Monardo said Monday that the province had seen a 70 percent spike in weekly cases, while the number of occupied hospital beds in East Java was relatively higher than in other provinces. About 95 percent of hospital beds at Dr. Soetomo Hospital and 73.5 percent of hospital beds at Saiful Anwar Hospital in Malang were filled, he said.Topics : The Health Ministry announced 973 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, with 502 of the cases located in East Java, which has emerged as the new epicenter of the outbreak in the country. The 502 new cases in East Java is the highest daily spike recorded by a province in Indonesia, even surpassing that of Jakarta.The province has the second-most number of cases in the country with 2,998 cases and 241 fatalities, leapfrogging West Java and behind only Jakarta.Read also: East Java, second hardest-hit province after Jakarta, struggles to control virus spreadExperts have criticized the lax large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) enforced by the province, which only imposed the PSBB in Surabaya and its two satellite regencies Sidoarjo and Gresik, as well as Malang city and neighboring Batu city and Malang regency. This is despite East Java having at least one confirmed case in all 38 cities and regencies.A recent online survey conducted by the alumni association of Airlangga University’s School of Public Health found that, even in areas that enacted the PSBB, places of worship, offices and factories mostly remained operational without health protocols.center_img “This is an extraordinary increase and the highest [one-day] increase so far,” the ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto, said in a press conference on Thursday. “The largest [number of cases] is from East Java, taking the [nationwide] total to 20,162 cases.”He added that the total death toll had increased by 36 to 1,278.last_img read more

Jakarta ready to welcome ‘new normal’ soon, minister says

first_img“Based on Bappenas data regarding R0, some areas are ready [to welcome a new normal], including Aceh, Riau […] as well as Jakarta, by the end of their large-scale social restriction periods on June 4,” Airlangga said.Read also: Concerns mount over reopening of offices, malls as Indonesia steps into ‘new normal’The capital, which has the highest number of COVID-19 cases in Indonesia, has imposed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) since April 10 and has since extended the policy twice to curb the spread of the contagious disease.Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, however, previously refuted a claim that the city was going to reopen shopping centers in early June, citing the potential to extend the PSBB. Bappenas chairman Suharso Monoarfa previously stated that Jakarta had the potential to become a model for the “new normal”, saying the capital had met all the requirements.Suharso also said that Jakarta’s R0 of COVID-19 had already fallen below 1, indicating low transmission. The capital also has more hospital beds for COVID-19 treatment than the number of new cases that require hospital care and conducted swab tests on more than 1,000 per 1 million people as required by the World Health Organization. Coordinating Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto has suggested that several regions, including Jakarta, might be ready to welcome the so-called “new normal” phase as they have shown a decline in COVID-19 transmissions.Citing National Development Planning Board (Bappenas) data, Airlangga said the spread of the disease had slowed in Central Java, Bali, Jakarta and Yogyakarta, where the basic reproduction number (R0) of COVID-19 had fallen below 1.Some areas in Sumatra, including Aceh, West Sumatra, Riau and Bangka Belitung, as well as some provinces in Sulawesi and Kalimantan have also seen an R0 of below 1, Airlangga said, adding that “the trend keeps decreasing”. Topics :last_img read more

PREMIUMOIC adopts resolution as Indonesia calls for ‘massive mobilization’ against Israeli aggression

first_imgLinkedin LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Forgot Password ? Indonesia has called on the Muslim world and its allies to join hands in a “massive mobilization” against Israel’s plan to illegally annex a large part of the West Bank, issuing the call as top diplomats from Muslim and Muslim-majority countries convened to reiterate their support for Palestinian sovereignty and an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.Speaking at an extraordinary meeting of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Wednesday evening, Foreign Minister Retno L.P. Marsudi said that the member countries should work together to mobilize support for Palestine and hedge against any internal divisions over the contentious issue.“Our voice should be solid to prevent the formal annexation from happening,” Retno said in her speech, a transcript of which was made available to The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.The O… Facebook Palestine OIC Organization-of-Islamic-Cooperation Palestine-Israel-talks Jerusalem-resolution Jerusalem Log in with your social account Topics : Googlelast_img read more

ITDC finalizes disaster mitigation systems in super-priority tourism site Mandalika

first_imgThe Indonesian Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) is developing flood control channels in Mandalika, West Nusa Tenggara to improve disaster mitigation systems in one of the government’s five super-priority tourist destinations.Mandalika managing director I Wayan Karioka explained that the 5-kilometer long channels would be built to anticipate flooding that frequently occurred in the area during the rainy season.”We are also expediting the project’s finalization to welcome the new normal phase,” he added. Having begun in early June, the project has reached 19 percent completion with the help of 34 workers. It was targeted to finish by the end of next month. Read also: Indonesia to develop 89 new ‘strategic’ projects in 2020-2024In addition to building the disaster mitigation system, the ITDC further cooperated with the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) to provide search and rescue services on the nearby Kuta Mandalika Beach to ensure visitors’ safety.As many as six trained search and rescue personnel –equipped with a rescue boat, spinal board and life jackets, among other things– would be deployed at the beach.”Hopefully, visitors and all stakeholders will feel safe and comfortable during their stay in Mandalika,” Karioka said in a statement on Wednesday. The 1,175 hectare resort area was among the government’s five super-priority destinations developed to improve tourism and spur economic growth.The four other destinations are Lake Toba in North Sumatra, Borobudur in Central Java, Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara and Likupang in North Sulawesi. Topics :last_img read more

Sea crew quarantine let-off ‘may have caused Hong Kong spike’

first_imgHong Kong’s sudden spike in coronavirus cases may have stemmed from its willingness to let seafarers skip quarantine while changing ships in the city, a leading health expert said.After its previous success tackling the disease and ending local transmission, case numbers in the densely packed finance hub increased this month, sparking fears of a new outbreak spreading out of control.The city reported 123 new infections Friday, a new daily record, bringing the total tally to 2,372 with 16 deaths. Most of the new cases were locally transmitted. “When they entered Hong Kong, there were no immediate quarantine measures or testing arrangements. You could imagine, some of the crew members, the hotel they stay in maybe is downtown,” he said.Hong Kong has one of the world’s busiest container terminals.Leung added that, with the previous relaxation of social distancing measures in June, small restaurants had become high-risk venues, especially those frequented by taxi drivers.As confirmed cases suddenly surged earlier this month, the government ordered mandatory virus tests for arriving crew members, as well as forcing shipping agents to arrange isolated accommodation and point-to-point transfers to and from the vessel for crew members.A quarantine order was imposed on six different vessels anchored in the city’s waters after some of the crew members tested positive for the virus.The other crew members, about 140 in total, were being quarantined on board as authorities said the ships needed to be manned.More than 1,000 infections were confirmed in the last fortnight alone, more than 40 percent of the total since the virus first hit the city in late January. Some health experts have blamed an exemption from the usual 14-day quarantine which the government granted to “essential personnel” including cross-boundary truckers, aircrew and sea crew.But officials have said the arrangement was necessary, while insisting it was a “misunderstanding” that the new wave was attributable to the exemption.After analyzing virus samples from recent confirmed cases, Gabriel Leung, dean of the University of Hong Kong’s medical school, said on Thursday the virus’ resurgence most likely stemmed from such imported cases.He said the wave was “probably because of the multiple imported [cases], it could be the crew members or sailors exempted from quarantine”.center_img Topics :last_img read more