Canadian energy board okays Trans Mountain pipeline expansion FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Anchorage Daily News:The Trans Mountain pipeline expansion should be approved by the government of Canada, the country’s National Energy Board found Friday in a massive report.The project would likely harm endangered southern resident killer whales, increase greenhouse-gas emissions that worsen the impacts of climate warming, and could cause oil spills that would be damaging to the environment, the board found. However, the more-than-700-mile-long pipeline should be approved by the government anyway, the board found, because it is in Canada’s national interest.Final approval now is before the government of Canada, which has nationalized the project, and has 90 days for its consideration.Canada wants to expand the existing Trans Mountain pipeline in order to ship bitumen oil to Asia in hopes of gaining higher oil prices than its market in the U.S. A pipeline spur from the existing Trans Mountain pipeline, in service since the 1950s, brings bitumen directly to Washington refineries, where a variety of products, including gasoline and jet fuel, are produced.The expansion would nearly triple the amount of oil shipped from Edmonton, Alberta, to Burnaby, British Columbia, on the coast just outside downtown Vancouver. The $9.3 billion project would increase capacity to 890,000 barrels of bitumen oil a day, and increase tanker traffic in the Salish Sea from about six tankers per year to more than 400.The board imposed 156 conditions if the project is approved, intended to cover a range of impacts including emergency preparedness and response, consultation with affected indigenous communities, and pipeline safety and integrity. Most are the same conditions as from the board’s previous approval for the project in 2016. The Canadian Court of Appeals last August ordered the board to reconsider its approval, because it had inadequately considered effects on killer whales, and had inadequately consulted with First Nations.More: Despite harm to orcas, Canada should expand pipeline, energy board says
Ghana midfielder Seidu Salifu says he is ready for the challenge ahead after his switch to Tunisian giants Club Africain.The former Wa All Stars player completed his move after signing a four year deal in an undisclosed fee.The 19 year old was linked to so many European clubs following his impressive performance at this year’s FIFA U20 World Cup where Ghana finished third in Turkey.According to Seidu Salifu he is happy with the move and is keen on impressing his new coach Adrie Koster.“I feel very happy and great for this move to Club Africain which is a big club in Africa,” said Salifu in an exclusive interview with Joy sports“I’m always ready for the challenge and as a player you should always do your best wherever you find yourself. “I have to adapt to their style of play gradually and I believe I can fit in the team.
Wembley Sports Construction Company Limited says it is ready to partner the government to deliver on President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s promise to construct a community sports complex within the Zongos and inner cities across the country. Last week, the Ghana President commissioned a mini stadia, Lord’s Wembley Plus+ which doubles as a community center for the people of Shukura (Losso), a suburb in Ablekuma Central Constituency of the Greater Accra Region, with a pledge that the Zongo Development Fund established by the government would continue to promote and support sports infrastructure development in Zongos and inner cities. The state-of-the-art park was constructed by Wembley Sports Construction Limited, a solely owned Ghanaian company with expertise in artificial turf construction across the country. The park has about 450- seater stands for spectators floodlights, an inner perimeter, fencing two separate changing and washrooms, VIP sitting area, a gym, conference area and offices.The Chief Executive Officer of Wembley Sports Construction Limited, Robert Tetteh Coleman, has revealed his firm would roll out 100 artificial football parks across the country in 2019 to help develop sporting talents within the communities and also curb challenges with the non-availability of playgrounds within Zongos and inner cities. Mr Coleman has called on all stakeholders to join hands in the execution of the project known as “One Constituency, One artificial Football Park” and its realisation would provide the environment to help unearth football talents, protect players from career-threatening injuries and curtail juvenile delinquencies.The Shukura park brings to 10 the number of artificial foot all fields constructed by Wembley Sports Limited after similar parks at Madina Zongo and Accra Academy in Greater Accra Region, Walewale Zongo park in the Northen Region, Kyebi Zongo park in the Eastern Region.For his part, Lord Oblitey Commey, the director of Operations at the Presidency and a brainchild of the project, said he feels proud that the people of Ablekuma Central can also boast of a modern playing field to help develop talents in and around the community.