Low crude prices prompt Teck Resources to write off C$910 million at Fort Hills oil sands operation

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):Canadian diversified miner Teck Resources Ltd. swung to a net loss of C$891 million in the fourth quarter of 2019 from a year-ago net profit of C$433 million due to C$999 million in write-downs primarily related to the Fort Hills oil sands operation in Alberta.Teck said Feb. 20 that it declared a noncash impairment charge of C$910 million on Fort Hills amid lower market expectations for future oil prices. The company also booked write-downs of C$75 million on the Cardinal River coal mine, also in Alberta, due to low steelmaking coal prices and C$14 million on the Quebrada Blanca copper mine in Chile due to the short remaining life of the cathode operation.The company booked an EBITDA loss of C$755 million from positive EBITDA of C$1.15 billion a year ago. Revenues slipped to C$2.66 billion from C$3.25 billion.During the quarter, it reported lower output on a yearly basis for all products, with 6.7 million tonnes of steelmaking coal, 71,000 tonnes of copper, 149,000 tonnes of zinc in concentrate, 66,000 tonnes of refined zinc and 3.2 million barrels of bitumen.“We remain confident in the longer-term outlook for our major commodities, however, global economic uncertainty has had a significant negative effect on the prices for our products this year,” Teck said, adding that the new coronavirus outbreak may have a “material” impact on demand for its products and prices.For full-year 2019, Teck’s net profit slumped to C$339 million from C$3.11 billion as EBITDA plunged to C$2.48 billion from C$6.17 billion and revenues sagged to C$11.93 billion from C$12.56 billion.[Karl Decena]More ($): Teck in the red after nearly C$1B in impairment charges for Q4’19 Low crude prices prompt Teck Resources to write off C$910 million at Fort Hills oil sands operationlast_img read more

DILG SACKS WV FIRE CHIEF | Año orders probe on BFP staff’s protocol breach

first_img“Titiyakin po natin ang medical needs ng mga fire personnel na ito na maaaring na-expose sa COVID-19 subalit mananagot din sila sa anumang maging resulta ng imbestigasyon nila na ipinag-utos ni Secretary Año kaugnay sa posibleng naging kapabayaan,” he added. He was referring to the 26-year-old female BFP-6 personnel (Patient No. 144) whom the city government placed under quarantine late night on June 14 after hours of searching for her. “Puspusan na po ang contact tracing na isinasagawa ng BFP-6 at mayroon na pong koordinasyon sa DILG Region VI at Police Regional Office,” Malaya said. Department of Tourism (DOT) secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat, in a separate statement, confirmed that the COVID-19 positive BFP staff and her 27 co-workers held a “despedida party” in Boracay in Malay, Aklan last week. “Panahon ng pandemya ngayon at hindi puwede ang mga palusot. As law enforcers, we must set a good example to our people and the breach of quarantine protocols sets a very bad example,” Año stressed. Aguto’s firing came after a BFP-6 personnel allegedly roamed around the tourist destination while awaiting the result of her reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction test for COVID-19 that later turned out to be positive. ILOILO City – Interior Secretary Eduardo Año has ordered the relief of Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Region 6 director Fire Senior Superintendent Roderick Aguto after one of his personnel – who later tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) – breached quarantine protocols along with 27 colleagues by going to Boracay Island. Año has also ordered an investigation into the incident. So far, a total of 196 BFP-6 personnel have undergone rapid testing for COVID-19. “Nabigla ako…Isa po doon ang babae na umalis ng Iloilo (City), na-swab…Hindi pa lumabas ang result (but) pumunta (na) ng Boracay at noong huli ay nag-positive,” said Bautista in a press conference. DILG spokesman Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, meanwhile, tasked BFP chief Fire director Jose Embang to immediately investigate the matter and conduct contract tracing. BY ADRIAN STEWART CO AND RUBY SILUBRICO “We will never tolerate any wrongdoing by our BFP personnel or any other DILG (Department of Interior and Local Government) personnel for that matter because lives are at stake here,” said Año, who announced Aguto’s sacking on Wednesday. Fire Senior Superintendent Jerry Candido, director for logistics of BFP-National Headquarters, has been appointed as BFP officer-in-charge in the region. According to the Department of Health, only 28 of the 196 were subjected to RT-PCR and were advised to undergo quarantine pending results of their tests on Friday. Acting Malay mayor Frolibar Bautista criticized the trip as an “irresponsible and blatant disregard of quarantine protocols.” Bautista said the patient’s name was listed in the port manifest. The patient’s positive test result was released on June 13. She and her BFP-6 group took a boat to Boracay on June 12 at around 5 p.m. via Tabon-Tambisaan Port. The BFP regional and city offices have been placed under lockdown and were advised to observe strict sanitation and disinfection efforts./PNlast_img read more

Sherwood rules out Lamela

first_img Roberto Soldado has scored just once since the turn of the year while Paulinho, Etienne Capoue and Nacer Chadli have shown only brief signs of their true potential. None of those players had previous experience of English football before signing for Spurs and Sherwood feels that is something that worked against both the club and their new acquisitions. He highlighted Everton’s business, which saw them sign England midfielder Gareth Barry and Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku on loan, as the perfect example of how to go about bringing in players to make a difference. “I am a firm believer that Premier League experience is key,” he added. “Yes, you can buy someone who has never played in the Premier League and he comes over and he is a revelation but its more of a risk doing that. “If you want to look at any team you’ve got to look at Everton and what they’ve done in the transfer market – It is second to none. “On Deadline Day they looked like an average side – all of a sudden they make three signings and it turns them into what they are now. “That’s the business that is done. It was very cute from [Roberto] Martinez and whoever was involved in bringing them in because whoever brought them in, certainly they were Martinez’s players he wanted. “You’ve got Gareth Barry with 534 games or whatever it is in the Premier League – crucial for any club. Lukaku was the best young player last season. He had that loan spell at Everton where he did brilliantly and he has it onto this year. “And then there’s Gerard Deulofeu who everyone knows is in development phase of football. He can be anything he possibly wants to be and he is showing that now, and the acquisition of McCarthy, they have certainly done brilliantly in the transfer market.” Tim Sherwood admits he does not expect record signing Erik Lamela to play again this season and believes the club should take a leaf out of Everton’s book when it comes to their summer recruitment policy. The 22-year-old Lamela was signed among much fan-fare last year, one of seven players who were brought in by technical director Franco Baldini and former head coach Andre Villas-Boas. But the former Roma man has been restricted to just 17 appearances in all competitions as injuries and a lack of form have meant his debut campaign at White Hart Lane will not be one to be remembered. Hip and back injuries have prevented Lamela from lining up for Spurs since the 3-0 win over Stoke in December and Sherwood has all but written off the Argentina international’s chances of returning this season. “He isn’t fit to play,” Sherwood said. “He’s been unfortunate with injuries and it’s a shame that he’s picked up the knocks because taking the settling in period aside, how are you meant to settle when you can’t go out there and perform because you’ve had this serious back injury? He’s probably not going to play this season.” Lamela’s World Cup place could also now be hanging in the balance due to his inactivity but Sherwood would have no qualms if Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella wanted to include the winger in his squad. “Like I say, he’s been out a very long time,” he added. “He’s going to need a pre-season before he can play. It’s up to their manager and if they think he needs to play any competitive games previous to that. “I think it comes down to how sought after he is out there by the manager. He needs the games doesn’t he? And next season he comes back in and he’s in a better place.” Lamela may be the highest profile of Spurs’ summer signings to find his first season a difficult one but he is not alone. Press Associationlast_img read more

DONEGAL MAN ADMITS SEX ABUSE OF SEVEN VICTIMS

first_imgA north Donegal man will be sentenced in April after today pleading guilty to abusing seven victims over a 16-year period.The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court today to 14 counts of indecent assault, sexual assault and rape between 1984 and 2000 in both Donegal and Dublin. Mr Justice Paul Carney ordered that the Co Donegal man be immediately registered as a sex offender. The child rapist was then remanded on continuing bail until he is sentenced on April 15.Victim impact reports will be prepared for the sentencing hearing, the judge was told.The child rapist cannot be named to protect the identity of his victims.DONEGAL MAN ADMITS SEX ABUSE OF SEVEN VICTIMS was last modified: February 18th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL MAN ADMITS SEX ABUSE OF SEVEN VICTIMSlast_img read more

BREAKING NEWS: SNOW ALERT FOR THURSDAY, SAYS SKY NEWS

first_imgSKY News is this morning forecasting snow for Donegal tomorrow, Thursday.The snow is due to arrive into west Donegal tomorrow morning before spreading across the county in the afternoon, said the TV station.It will be bitterly cold for the next few days, said Sky. RTE however is referring to ‘wintry showers’ rather than snow – while the BBC reports snow on “higher ground.”BREAKING NEWS: SNOW ALERT FOR THURSDAY, SAYS SKY NEWS was last modified: November 30th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaldonegal weather forecastsky newssnowlast_img read more