Adarsh scam: Bombay High Court sets aside Governor’s sanction to prosecute Ashok Chavan

first_imgThe Bombay High Court on December 22 set aside the sanction granted to the Central Bureau of Investigation by Maharashtra Governor Ch. Vidyasagar Rao to prosecute senior Congress leader Ashok Chavan in the Adarsh housing society scam.A division bench of Justices Ranjit More and Sadhana Jadhav ruled that though the CBI had claimed to be in possession of fresh evidence against Mr. Chavan at the time of seeking the sanction, it “failed to present any fresh evidence”.The bench said the material presented by the CBI before Mr. Rao could not be converted into credible fresh evidence against Mr. Chavan. “The sanctioning authority is an independent body that can’t allow itself to be influenced by anyone’s opinion,” the court said.The bench was hearing a petition filed by Mr. Chavan, challenging the sanction granted by the Governor in February 2016 to prosecute the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra under various sections of the IPC related to criminal conspiracy and cheating, besides provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act. Mr. Chavan had challenged Mr. Rao’s order in the High Court, calling it “arbitrary, illegal and unjust” and passed with “malafide intentions“.Mr. Chavan, currently the president of the Maharashtra unit of the Congress, had served as the Chief Minister between December 2008 and November 2010 before he was asked to step down on charges of corruption in the Adarsh scam.The CBI has accused Mr. Chavan of approving additional floor space index (FSI) for the Adarsh society in posh South Mumbai, and accepting two flats for his relatives in return when he was the Chief Minister.He is also accused of illegally approving, as Revenue Minister earlier, allotment of 40% of flats to civilians even though the society was originally meant for defence personnel. The CBI had earlier told the HC that if Mr. Chavan’s petition is allowed, it would amount to his acquittal, which would render the entire probe exercise futile.last_img read more

School burnt down after it suspends 6 students

first_imgA missionary school in Manipur’s Kakching district was burnt down on Thursday night, three days after six of its students were suspended for a month for indiscipline. The police arrested two suspects early on Friday morning and have provided security cover to the administrators and teachers of St. Joseph’s Higher Secondary School at Sugnu, the second oldest Catholic institution in Manipur.Father Jacob Chapao, director of the Manipur Catholic Youth Organisation, in a statement condemned the “barbaric act.” He said the school had taken some disciplinary action against six of some 1,400 students on Friday, but allowed them to attend classes. One of the reprimanded students took to social media to allegedly abuse the school and the class teacher.The school then suspended the six students on Monday. One of the girls, whose father was allegedly an extremist leader from Sugnu, mobilised a local students’ union to exert pressure on the school to revoke the suspension. “The school refused to give in. This led to the miscreants burning down the 55-year-old school, along with all its records,” Fr Chapao said.last_img read more

3 more teams cleared club licensing hurdle

first_imgSuper League Four teams confirm eligibility for 2018 Super League season Ooi Kin Fai Last updated 2 years ago 12:02 8/31/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Darren Lok, Johor Darul Ta'zim, Malaysia Cup, 18/07/2017 Johor Southern Tigers Super League Johor Darul Ta’zim Pahang PKNS Selangor JDT now have Pahang, Selangor and PKNS for company as the only four teams with approved club licensing that allow their to be in the 2018 MSL The 2018 M-League season will less than five months time but at this point in time, only four teams have met the conditions required to participate in next season’s Super League campaign.Rules dictate that from the 2018 season onwards, any teams or clubs that are competing in the Super League requires an approved club licensing certification. Editors’ Picks Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina The four teams are Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) who had their license renewed while Selangor, Pahang and PKNS FC have all successfully met the requirements for the certification.The club licensing rule requires adherence of many factors including infrastructure, administrative, legal and financial criteria.The certification goes on a yearly basis which means that even those approved clubs will have to ensure that they maintain those criteria throughout the years.Of course there’s still time for the others to make the grade and join these four teams in the Super League next season but the clock is definitely ticking on them.last_img read more

10 months agoSouthampton midfielder Lemina admits Champions League plans: But in England

first_imgSouthampton midfielder Lemina admits Champions League plans: But in Englandby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton midfielder Mario Lemina admits he’s enjoying his football in England.Having also played in France and Italy, Lemina says the Premier League is where he wants to stay.He said, “I definitely prefer playing in an English club. Which? I would rather play in an English club (smile), it’s true that the English championship really pleases me, I really bloom in England, my family is also flourishing so it’s really important for me. “After a big club abroad too, why not, I’m ready for all the challenges in any case, and my wish is really to find the Champions League, to play in it again and to really show that I have changed and I’m not the same player as before.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

18 days ago​Newcastle midfielder Longstaff ‘over the moon’ for brother Matty

first_imgAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say ​Newcastle midfielder Longstaff ‘over the moon’ for brother Mattyby Ansser Sadiq18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff is delighted for his brother Matty, as the latter scored the winning goal against Manchester United in the Premier League.Matty helped Newcastle to a famous 1-0 win over the Red Devils at home on Sunday.And the older Longstaff has no problems with his kid brother getting some of the limelight!The pair started the game in central midfield, with Matty winning man of the match.”I’m over the moon for him,” said Sean to Sky Sports. “If I’m being honest, he’s been unlucky to be out of the team. But today he’s been a breath of fresh air.” last_img read more

Most actively traded companies on the TSX

first_imgSome of the most active companies traded Monday on the Toronto Stock Exchange:Toronto Stock Exchange (16,004.40, up 5.83 points)Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX:ACB). Health care. Up 34 cents, or 6.17 per cent, to $5.85 on 15.7 million shares. The marijuana producer is pushing ahead with plans for an all-stock takeover offer for CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. (TSX:CMED) after failing to reach an agreement with the company’s board. The offer follows an announcement by CanniMed on Friday that it struck an all-stock to deal to acquire Tragically Hip-backed marijuana company Newstrike Resources Ltd. (TSXV:HIP).IC Potash Corp. (TSX:ICP). Agriculture. Up 1.5 cents, or 33.33 per cent, to six cents on 8.7 million shares.Canopy Growth Corp. (TSX:WEED). Health care. Up 14 cents, or 0.76 per cent, to $18.59 on 5.9 million shares.Baytex Energy Corp. (TSX:BTE). Oil and gas. Unchanged at $3.90 on 4.7 million shares.Enbridge Inc. (TSX:ENB). Oil and gas. Up $1.09, or 2.43 per cent, to $45.95 on 4.5 million shares.Cenovus Energy Inc. (TSX:CVE). Oil and gas. Down 49 cents, or 3.78 per cent, to $12.49 on 4.3 million shares.Companies reporting major news:TransCanada Corp. (TSX:TRP). Oil and gas. Up 97 cents, or 1.55 per cent, to $63.51 on 2.3 million shares. Nebraska regulators approved an alternate route through the state for the company’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline. It was the last major regulatory hurdle facing the $10-billion, 1,897-kilometre project, though opponents say another round of federal approval may now be needed.last_img read more

North Peace Leisure Pool hosting fundraiser for the BCSPCA this Wednesday

first_imgCanned Dog Food.Canned Cat Food.Specialty Food (gastro, critical care, urinary care).Squeaky Dog Toys.Cat Wand Toys. (Can be found at Dollar Stores).Cat Litter Scoops.Clay/Clumping Cat Litter.Paper Towel (Lots of it).Dish Soap.8.5×11 Printer Paper.Thermal Cash Register Rolls (Two 1/4 inch wide x 75 feet).Air Fresheners.Toilet Bowl Cleaner.Residents are also welcome to donate cash if they don’t have listed items. The event is part of the North Peace Leisure Pool’s Pet Week which is dedicated to all our furry and scaly friends.If residents are unable to make the fundraiser they are welcome to drop off donations to the BCSPCA’s North Peace Branch at any time.Pet Week flyer. Photo by Charity Nelson. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The North Peace Leisure Pool will be hosting a fundraiser for the BCSPCA this Wednesday.The event runs from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. and gives residents the opportunity to swim at the pool for just a donation.The SPCA released a list of items needed the most through donation. The list is shown below:last_img read more

Charlie Lake Fire Department investigating early morning fire

first_img Firefighters battling a blaze at a shop in the 10200 block of the 269 Road in Grand Haven on Tuesday morning. Photo by Chris Newton 1 of 10 Smoke from a massive fire seen over Fort St. John this morning. Photo by Chris Newton Photo by Chris Newton Photo by Chris Newton Photo by Chris Newton FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Charlie Lake Fire Department was called out to the scene of a fire just before 5 a.m. Tuesday.The fire erupted at a three-bay shop in the 10200 block of the 269 Road just west of Fort St. John. The Charlie Lake Fire Department requested help from the Fort St. John and Taylor fire departments for both manpower and water.A total of seven apparatus and 13 firefighters from Charlie Lake responded with one apparatus and four firefighters each from Fort St. John and Taylor. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but crews battled the blaze for several hours before extinguishing the fire and all of the hot spots. There were no injuries.The CLFD would like to thank the Fort St John Fire Department and the Taylor Fire Department for assisting with the incident. Photo by Chris Newton last_img read more

Pak must hand over Dawood Salahudeen to India to show sincerity in

first_imgNew Delhi: If Pakistan was sincere in tackling terror, then it should at least hand over to India Dawood Ibrahim, Sayeed Salahudeen and other terrorists who are Indian citizens and residing in that country, government sources said Saturday. They said Pakistan has failed to take any credible action against Jaish-e-Mohammed and other terror groups even after the dastardly Pulwama attack. If Pakistan really wants to send a message that it was serious about addressing India’s concerns over terrorism, then it should hand over Dawood, Salahudeen and other terrorists who are Indians, the sources said. Referring to actions by Pakistan such as holding ceratin terrorists in preventive custody, the sources said India considered them to be cosmetic. Cosmetic action will not cut any ice. India has been asking Pakistan to hand over Dawood, Salahudeen and several other terrorists who are wanted in India in connection with a series of terror attacks. The sources said India has shared various key details such as coordinates of terror groups operating from Pakistan soil to Islamabad which can be verified by a third country. After the Pulwama terror attack, India has mounted a diplomatic offensive to corner Pakistan internationally on the issue of terrorism. India has been pressing for concrete and verifiable action by Pakistan against terror groups operating from Pakistani soil. Tension between the two nuclear-armed neighbours escalated after the February 14 Pulwama terror attack and subsequent aerial strike by India on a training camp of the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) in Balakot on February 26. Pakistan retaliated the strike next day by unsuccessfully attempting to target Indian military installations. The JeM claimed responsibility for the Pulwama attack.last_img read more

No hint of compromise as Syria peace talks enter day two

first_imgMontreux (Switzerland) – Syria’s peace conference moved into a second day Thursday with the warring sides showing no willingness to compromise as global powers seek to engineer head-to-head talks on ending the bloodshed.The biggest push yet to end the conflict was marked by fiery exchanges on day one Wednesday as the regime and the opposition clashed over President Bashar al-Assad’s fate at the UN meeting in Switzerland.Expectations are very low for a breakthrough at the conference, but diplomats believe that simply bringing the two sides together for the first time is a mark of some progress and could be an important first step. After a day of formal speeches set to be followed this week by talks involving the two sides, UN leader Ban Ki-moon urged Syria’s regime and opposition to finally work together at the table.“The world wants an urgent end to the conflict,” Ban said in a closing press conference at the talks in the Swiss town of Montreux on Wednesday. “Enough is enough, the time has to come to negotiate.”But official statements made by the delegations gave no hint of compromise, as the two sides met on the shores of Lake Geneva for the first time since the conflict erupted in March 2011.Branding the opposition “traitors” and foreign agents, Syrian officials insisted Assad would not give up power, while the opposition said he must step down and face trial.“Assad will not go,” Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zohbi said on the sidelines of the conference.In his speech, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem surprised observers with a vehement attack on the opposition that went on long beyond the allotted time of less than 10 minutes, forcing Ban to repeatedly ask him to wrap it up.”They (the opposition) claim to represent the Syrian people. If you want to speak in the name of the Syrian people, you should not be traitors to the Syrian people, agents in the pay of enemies of the Syrian people,” Muallem said.Ahmad Jarba, the head of the opposition Syrian National Coalition, called on the regime to “immediately” sign a deal reached at the last peace conference in Geneva in 2012 setting out “the transfer of powers from Assad, including for the army and security, to a transition government”.Jarba said that would be “the preamble to Bashar al-Assad’s resignation and his trial alongside all the criminals of his regime”.Leading a series of sharp US accusations against the Syrian regime, Secretary of State John Kerry insisted Assad could not be part of any transitional government.“There is no way, not possible in the imagination, that the man who has led the brutal response to his own people could regain legitimacy to govern,” Kerry said.US officials also slammed the Syrian delegation for its incendiary remarks.“Instead of laying out a positive vision for the future of Syria that is diverse, inclusive and respectful of the rights of all, the Syrian regime chose inflammatory rhetoric,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius accused the regime of lowering the tone of the discussions, saying its delegation was the only one that was “deaf and blind”.“The situation is very difficult, we couldn’t expect a bed of roses,” Fabius said.At his closing press conference, Kerry said Washington was also pursuing “different avenues” to resolve the conflict alongside peace talks, including “augmented support to the opposition”.Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned the talks will “not be simple, they will not be quick” but urged both sides to seize a “historic opportunity”.About 40 nations and international bodies were gathered, but no direct talks are expected until possibly Friday — when opposition and regime delegations will meet in Geneva for negotiations that officials have said could last seven to 10 days.The UN-Arab League envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, told the closing press conference he would meet on Thursday with both sides to discuss the next step in negotiations.“Tomorrow I am going to meet them separately and see how best we can move forward,” Brahimi said.“Do we go straight into one room and start discussing or do we talk a little bit more separately?… I don’t know yet.”Erupting after the regime cracked down on protests inspired by the Arab Spring, the civil war has claimed more than 130,000 lives and forced millions from the homes.Recent months have seen the conflict settle into a brutal stalemate — with the death toll rising but neither camp making decisive gains.With no one ready for serious concessions, world powers will be looking for short-term deals to keep the process moving forward, including on localised ceasefires, freer humanitarian access and prisoner exchanges.Brahimi said he “had indications” from both sides that they were willing discuss these issues.Notably absent from the table was crucial Assad backer Iran, after Ban reversed a last-minute invitation when the opposition said it would boycott if Tehran took part.Pitting Assad’s regime, dominated by the Alawite offshoot of Shiite Islam, against largely Sunni Muslim rebels, the war has unsettled large parts of the Middle East.There were stark reminders of the conflict’s impact in the run-up to the talks, with continued fighting on the ground and new evidence in a report alleging that Assad’s forces have systematically killed and tortured 11,000 people.The opposition called at the conference for an international inquiry into the allegations.“We have to stop this spiral of violence. We do call for an international inspection to visit places of detention and see the facts of torture that our citizens face every day,” Jarba said.last_img read more