Sony Threatens Twitter with Legal Action Over Hacked Content

first_imgSony Pictures has threatened microblogging website Twitter with legal action if it didn’t block out individuals and accounts that have constantly posted content from the leaked emails exposed by hackers. In a letter addressed to the General Counsel and Secretary of Twitter, Sony’s attorney David Boies cautioned that if any “stolen information continues to be disseminated by Twitter in any manner,” the studios would hold it accountable.Sony especially asked Twitter to take down the account of Val Broeksmit, a musician who kept posting screen shots of the leaked emails from the hacks from his Twitter handle @BikiniRobotArmy. Sony asked twitter to remove any material from the leaks on the website and destroy them.Sony’s demands were drafted as follows:”We ask that you promptly suspend the Account Holder’s Twitter account and:(1) notify us using the contact information provided below;(2) take all reasonable actions to prevent your company and any of your employees, independent contractors, agents, consultants, account holders, or anyone who may have access to your files from examining, copying, disseminating, distributing, publishing, downloading, uploading, or making any other use of the Stolen Information;(3) arrange for and supervise the destruction of all copies of the Stolen Information in your possession or under your control, particularly information protected under U.S. and foreign legal doctrines protecting attorney-client privileged communications, attorney work product, and related privileges and protections, as well as private financial and other confidential information and communications of SPE’s current and former personnel and others, confidential personnel data, intellectual property, trade secrets and other business secrets and related communications;(4) confirm that such destruction has been completed; and(5) comply with all future requests with regard to any other account holder seeking to disseminate the Stolen Information via Twitter.”Twitter hasn’t commented on the letter yet.Meanwhile, Sony Pictures has agreed to release the James Franco- Seth Rogen starring political satire movie “The Interview” in select theatres in the United States. The decision comes days after it pulled the film out after the hacker group threatened to blow up theatres screening the movie. The hacker group, which calls itself the “Guardians of Peace,” breached Sony’s cyber security system and exposed confidential data ranging from employee salaries, social security numbers, previously unpublished pilot scripts and private e-mails as well.Experts say the hacks could cost Sony Pictures over $200 million.last_img read more

RMG workers protest at fellows termination

first_imgPeople suffer after readymade garment workers put barricade on the main road in Abdullahpur area on Thursday. Photo: UNBReadymade garment workers put barricade on the main road in the Dhaka’s Abdullahpur area halting vehicular movement for around two and half hours on both sides of House Building to Abdullahpur on Thursday, reports UNB.Employees of ‘Top Jeans’ in Hazipara of Uttarkhan came to the street around 11:00am protesting at the dismissal of some of their fellow workers from the factory.At one stage, they started demonstrating on the main road and went to Abdullahpur and put barricade there around 12:00pm halting vehicular movement on the busy road, said traffic inspector Asad of Abdullahpur.Although vehicles were diverted from Abdullahpur to House Building to keep the vehicular movement normal, huge traffic clog had surrounded the area, said another police officer.Additional police forces were deployed to bring the situation under control.Later around 2:30pm, the agitated workers withdrew the roadblocks after being assured that their demand would be met, said deputy commissioner of Uttara division Nabid Kamal Shaibal.He also said the vehicular movement from the Airport to Abdullahpur became normal after 2:40pm.last_img read more

Africa cyclone death toll surges past 600

first_imgA man cleans up a destroyed house on 19 March 2019 in Chimanimani, as a hundred houses were damaged by the Cyclone Idai. More than a thousand people are feared to have died in Mozambique alone while scores have been killed and more than 200 are missing in neighbouring Zimbabwe following the deadliest cyclone to hit southern Africa. Photo: AFPThe death toll from a powerful cyclone that pummelled swathes of southern African countries, flooding thousands of square kilometres, on Saturday surged past 600 as diseases stalked tens of thousands of survivors.At least 417 people have died in Mozambique, according to government, bringing to 676 the total deaths when combined with those from neighbouring Zimbabwe.Cyclone Idai smashed into the coast of central Mozambique on Friday last week, unleashing hurricane-force winds and rains that flooded the hinterland and drenched eastern Zimbabwe leaving a trail of destruction.Relief and rescue efforts entered a second week in the central parts of the impoverished coountry.The UN, warning of more suffering, stepped up calls for help in Mozambique as aid agencies struggle to assist tens of thousands of people battered by one of southern Africa’s most powerful cyclones.’Situation will get worse’ A week after the storm lashed Mozambique with winds of nearly 200 kilometres (120 miles) per hour, survivors are struggling in desperate conditions — some still trapped on roof tops and those saved needing food and facing the risk of outbreaks of disease such as cholera.”The situation will get worse before it gets better,” UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore said Saturday.”Aid agencies are barely beginning to see the scale of the damage,” she adding that “entire villages have been submerged, buildings have been flattened, and schools and health care centers have been destroyed”.The storm wreaked an area about 3,000 square kilometres of land.The World Food Programme late Friday night declared the flood crisis a level three emergency, putting it on a par with crises in Yemen, Syria and South Sudan.”The designation will accelerate the massive operational scale-up now underway to assist victims of last week’s Category 4 cyclone and subsequent large-scale flooding that claimed countless lives and displaced at least 600,000 people,” said WFP spokesman Herve Verhoosel.”Now that the world is beginning to grasp the scale of devastation and despair,” he said.More than two million people have been affected in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and in Malawi where the storm started as a tropical depression causing flooding which killed 60 and displaced nearly a million people.Hundreds are still missing in Mozambique and Zimbabwe.’Like Yemen, Syria’ Humanitarian agencies are racing against the clock to help people, many of whom have not had a meal in days.Poor sanitary conditions mean disease is now a real concern.”Already, some cholera cases have been reported in (the port city of) Beira along with an increasing number of malaria infections among people trapped by the flooding,” the International Federation of the Red Cross said in a statement.Even some of those rescued and in shelters are in overcrowded conditions and poor hygiene places them at risk. UNICEF estimates at least a million children have been affected by the storm.Aid group Doctors Without Borders said people were also at risk of respiratory infections such as pneumonia.In Buzi, a small town that has reportedly “disappeared” under water, an AFP photographer saw people sleeping outside, under the rain and many coughing.”There are lot of dead (people). We can’t even count,” said Otelea Jose, arriving by boat in Beira.”We are living an unprecedented natural disaster. A disaster that only matches major disasters,” said lands and environment minister Celso Correia.Districts west of Beira resemble an inland lake, and thousands of people are still trapped on roof tops.’Unprecedented natural disaster’ Although water levels are slowly going down, according to the government,the UN humanitarian agency warned of fresh flooding if more rains fall.”The Zambezi (river) is essentially in flood currently, it’s very high .. there is lot of rain in the highlands, the more that flows down to the Zambezi the more likely that is going to break its banks and we will have a second flooding emergency,” said Sebastian Stampa, an OCHA coordinator.Nearly 90,000 people are already in shelters in central Mozambique.In Beira, businessman Ibraimo Masquine counted his blessings. “I can’t believe I’m here. I was scared for my life,” he said clearing debris from his factory, but he also said there was “no clean water to drink, no food”.last_img read more

Houston Dynamo A Team As Diverse As Its City

first_img Listen Houston Dynamo/FacebookHouston Dynamo players pose on the pitch in San Jose, Calif. on April 14, 2018. 00:00 /07:44 X The Houston Dynamo are on the road this weekend for a Saturday match against the Minnesota United Football Club.The team, like many in Major League Soccer, is comprised of players from all over the world. In addition to players from the United States, the Dynamo’s roster includes others from Columbia, El Salvador, Honduras, Venezuela, Sweden, Switzerland, Panama, Brazil, and England.And, there’s even a few from Greater Houston who have ties to other nations, which is a characteristic common to much of Houston in general, being the oft-touted “most diverse city in the country.”Houston Matters producer Michael Hagerty recently went to Dynamo practice and spoke with several players with international connections to learn how such a diverse team learns to work together and how that diversity echoes the city the team calls home.In the audio above, Michael talks with midfielders Memo Rodriguez, Juan David Cabezas, and Arturo Álvarez.– / 4center_img To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Sharelast_img read more