SA call centres ‘set to boom’

first_img17 January 2007South African IT services company Galdon Data announced recently that it was experiencing an increased demand for call centre solutions and services in Cape Town.In a statement issued last month, the company said it strongly believed the call centre industry was set for major growth over the next few years as South Africa became the preferred call centre hub in Africa.“London-based market analysis firm Datamonitor expects the number of call centre agent positions in South Africa, which is favoured by British companies for its cultural affinity with Europe, to more than triple by 2010,” Galdon Data said.“According to Calling the Cape, a body that promotes call centre development in the province, call centres are crucial for economic development in the Western Cape. Nationally, the number of jobs is expected to grow to 100 000 by 2009.”Galdon Data CEO Garry Ackerman said this growth was mainly as a result of the country’s affordable labour, good language skills and time zones that chime with Western Europe.“There has been a sharp rise in offshore investors, local companies developing customers’ contact facilities for the first time, and new outsourcing businesses, many of them black-owned,” Ackerman said.“South Africa is an appealing option for investors because it shares a time zone with Western Europe, and the high levels of education and familiarity with European culture means it is often seen as a high-quality niche market.”However, he noted that some investors were deterred by the relatively high telecoms tariffs in SA.Galdon Data provides services and solutions for call centres especially in the areas of business process automation and unified messaging. “This encompasses information capture, business information delivery, convergence and document solutions using the Microsoft, Captaris and Autonomy (Cardiff) range of products,” says Uwin Young, Galdon Data’s regional manager for the Western Cape.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Rice 2nd, Chalupsky 9th in Molokai

first_imgRice led with less than two kilometres to go in the brutal 52km crossing of the Kaiwi Channel, also known as the Channel of Bones, but was beaten to the finish at the Hawaii Kai Town Centre by former Olympic gold medallist Clint Robinson of Australia, who took the laurels in just less than four hours. RESULTSClint Robinson (Aus) 3:55:24Sean Rice (RSA) 4:00:43Cory Hill (Aus) 4:06:04Sam Norton (Aus) 4:12:43Craig Flanagan (RSA) 4:21:07Martin Kenny (Aus) 4:21:19Mike Walker (NZL) 4:21:44Dane Sloss (Aus) 4:26:50Oscar Chalupsky (RSA) 4:28:24Michael Beyer (Haw) 4:28:27Zsolt Szadovszki (Hun) 4:28:41Grant Kenny (Aus) 4:29:27Simon Longdill (NZL) 4:30:02Matt O’Garey (Aus) 4:31:08Jeff Le Marseney (Aus) 4:32:50 The race organisers have committed to holding the event in a four-day window period in the future to take advantage of optimal downwind racing conditions. “Congratulations to Clint for the win today,” said Chalupsky, a 12-time Molokai winner. “It was very tough for me today, but the ninth was all I could expect in the headwind conditions. Oscar Chalupsky’s bid to claim a 13th Molokai Challenge surfski marathon title in the year that he turned 50 ended with a ninth-place finish in Hawaii on Monday, with fellow South African Sean Rice coming within a whisker of winning the race on debut. 21 May 2013 “It was probably the toughest Molokai I have done. My average speed was 11.5km/h, when we usually average around 16km/h on a typical Molokai.” SAinfo reporter As they approached Portlock Point, the race had become a two-horse affair, with Rice taking the lead over Robinson, and the duo well clear of the rest of the contenders. String outRobinson gradually took the race by the scruff of the neck, sticking close to the rhumb line, and an hour-and-a-half into the race the field had strung out with Robinson leading Sam Norton, Sean Rice, Dane Sloss and Chalupsky, in fifth. Chalupsky led a bunch of contenders including Robinson and Rice on a northerly line from the start, staying on the rhumb line, while Martin Kenny spearheaded a group that went slightly further south.center_img “It is an international event, there are a handful of local Hawaiians and everyone else has flown in, so holding it over a window period is the way to go,” said Chalupsky. Local star Pat Dolan had clung tenaciously to third but was caught out by the massive surf at China Wall and dumped, smashing his ski into three pieces. ‘Started well’ Australian Miranda Davis won the women’s race, with a 25th place finish overall. ‘A long haul’“Conditions were really tough, but the wind from the right cooled things down a bit,” said Robinson. “It was a long haul.” By the time the leaders approached the legendary China Wall, where the surf was breaking in a 10-foot wall on the inside line close to the cliffs, Robinson was back in front, and caught a wave into the finish at Pillars and the town centre. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material “I started really well, but as the headwind wore on the younger guys started to come through – you can see that in the results. Racing on flat seas in extreme heat and a slight northerly wind from the side, the race turned into a relentless grind with no downwind runs available to the paddlers.last_img read more

Retired sub-inspector beaten to death in Allahabad

first_imgIn a shocking case, a retired police sub-inspector in Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad district was beaten to death in broad daylight on Monday. The incident was captured by CCTV.As per visuals from the spot, three men were seen mercilessly beating the victim with rods and sticks after they threw him off his bicycle in Shivkuti area of Allahabad on Monday. The victim, identified as Abdul Samad, died in a private hospital.Police have registered a murder case and arrested one of the three accused, said Allahabad Senior Superintendent of Police Nitin Tiwari. “One of the three persons seen in the CCTV footage, Mohammmad Yusuf, has been arrested,” said Mr. Tiwari.Additonal SP City Brijesh Kumar Srivastava said five others had been detained by police for questioning, while the main accused was still at bay.Police said the accused and the victim were distant relatives and had had a long dispute over land but added that the local police station had not received any complaints for the past 7-8 months. “The accused had a criminal history. His sons are also involved. If he has a past record we will take strict action,” said Mr. Srivastava. The Allahabad High Court has taken cognizance of the incident and sought a report from the police asking them to explain why culprits are not yet arrested despite CCTV footage.last_img read more

10 months agoWolves striker Austin Samuel pens new deal

first_imgWolves striker Austin Samuel pens new dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves striker Austin Samuel has penned a new two-and-half year contract.The 18-year-old joined Wolves as an under-8 player, progressing through the Academy system, and will now remain a part of the club until 2021.In 2009 Samuels was spotted by a local scout and first signed for the club in May that year, having previously played locally for Newbridge Rangers.Since then he’s rose as high as under-23 level this season, appearing six times in all competitions for Rob Edwards’ side.The striker netted in victories over Newcastle United and Sunderland, and featured in the Checkatrade Trophy against Mansfield Town’s first-team. He could come into contention for the under-23s’ return to action against West Brom on Monday. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

9 months agoFulham boss Ranieri: Burnley had three chances and scored two own goals

first_imgFulham boss Ranieri: Burnley had three chances and scored two own goalsby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFulham boss Claudio Ranieri insists they deserved something from their 2-1 defeat at Burnley.Jeff Hendrick, playing in an unfamiliar right midfield role, had two first half efforts deflected in off Joe Bryan and Denis Odoi to cancel out Andre Schurrle’s stunning second minute goal.Ranier said, “Football is fantastic. We deserved more but that’s football.”They had three chances and scored two own goals. We are alive, we never give up and we continue to fight.”I am satisfied with our performance. We knew it would be a battle, they won so they are right and we are wrong.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

a month agoValencia president Anil Murthy has Twitter account hacked

first_imgValencia president Anil Murthy has Twitter account hackedby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveValencia president Anil Murthy has had his Twitter account hacked.After being forced to apologise on behalf of Peter Lim to the Valencia squad for Marcelino’s sacking, his Twitter account was hacked on Wednesday night.Murthy managed to regain control of his account, stating that he’d been hacked and had deleted the previous two posts.The club president has been at the centre of the Marcelino sacking, but insists that the team need to keep moving forward.”This season we’re going to keep working to make the club improve,” he said.”On Sunday, we play at Mestalla against Leganes.”We’re calm right now, we have a new coach and the confidence of the team is in their coach.”We’re going to fight again this season to fulfil the objectives that this club deserves.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

18 days ago​Newcastle midfielder Longstaff ‘over the moon’ for brother Matty

first_imgAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say ​Newcastle midfielder Longstaff ‘over the moon’ for brother Mattyby Ansser Sadiq18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff is delighted for his brother Matty, as the latter scored the winning goal against Manchester United in the Premier League.Matty helped Newcastle to a famous 1-0 win over the Red Devils at home on Sunday.And the older Longstaff has no problems with his kid brother getting some of the limelight!The pair started the game in central midfield, with Matty winning man of the match.”I’m over the moon for him,” said Sean to Sky Sports. “If I’m being honest, he’s been unlucky to be out of the team. But today he’s been a breath of fresh air.” last_img read more

Waterton Lakes National Park reopens to public but wildfire still active

first_imgWATERTON, Alta. – Parks Canada has reopened the townsite in Waterton Lakes National Park to the public, but advises that all other areas in the park remain closed.The powerful fire that shut down the park and forced everyone out almost two weeks ago has been held for several days and remains at about 380 square kilometres.Residents, business owners and lease holders were allowed to return to the town on Tuesday to clean up ash and debris.Parks Canada is urging visitors to come with basic supplies as not all businesses may be open.A trail that loops around the town site is open, as are some picnic and day-use areas, including at Cameron Falls, which is a focal point in the village.Camping at the in-town campsite is not yet permitted.Only the Entrance road, Chief Mountain Road and the streets within town are open.“All other roads and areas in the park remain closed for safety reasons,” Parks Canada said in an update Thursday. “Due to the high intensity of the fire, there are a large number of danger trees, rock falls and other hazards that remain throughout the park.”A cold front with cooler temperatures and limited precipitation is expected to remain in the area for another day or two. Temperatures are expected to return to the mid-teens on the weekend.The fire started in British Columbia, but it eventually tore through the park. Fire crews managed to stop it from spreading into town and also saved the iconic 1920s Prince of Wales Hotel standing high on a bluff over the town.last_img read more

Premier Horgan to release Caribou Recovery Programs SocioEconomic Impact Report Thursday

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – On Thursday morning, after three weeks since its submission, Premier John Horgan will be releasing the findings from the Caribou Recovery Program’s Socio-Economic Impact Report.The report, prepared and submitted by Blaire Lekstrom, looks at the socio-economic impact that the Caribou Recovery Program could have on communities within the Peace River Regional District.While Lekstrom cannot comment on the content within the report, before the Premier’s official release, he does say that people were sharing their views respectfully during the meetings for this report. “People were tremendous, they brought their views forward, everybody was respectful, and moving ahead, I think that people share the same concerns.”Lekstrom submitted his report on May 27, prior to the May 31 deadline.In April, Lekstrom was appointed as Community Liaison to meet with community members to discuss the draft partnership agreements on caribou recovery following the Government’s announcement to extend the deadline to May 31.last_img read more

Centre justifies law for 10 quota to economically weaker sections

first_imgNew Delhi: The Centre on Tuesday justified in Supreme Court its recent law granting 10-per cent quota for Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs), saying it was brought in to promote “social equality” by providing “equal opportunities in higher education and employment to those who have been excluded by virtue of their economic status”.The government said the new law will not be covered by the Indra Sawhney versus Union of India (popularly called Mandal Commission verdict) of 1992 as provision for reservation was made after amending the Constitution. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!”That the Constitution Amendment (103rd) Act 2019 was necessitated to benefit the economically weaker sections of the society who were not covered within the existing schemes of reservation, which as per statistics, constituted a considerably large segment of the Indian population,” an affidavit filed by the Centre said. It said in order to do justice across all weaker sections of the society, “it was therefore considered imperative that the Constitution be appropriately amended to enable the State to extend various benefits, including reservations in educational institutions and public employment to the EWSs of the society who are not covered by any of the existing schemes of reservation…”. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedThe Centre’s affidavit was filed in connection with a matter where a batch of petitions have challenged the validity of the Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act, 2019 on the ground that it is contrary to the decision of this court in Indra Sawhney versus Union of India and violates the basic structure of the Constitution. “It is submitted that the conclusions drawn in Indra Sawhney are inapplicable to the present case as the said judgment was delivered while determining the constitutional validity of certain Office Memorandums issued by the Government of India in the year 1990, which provided for reservations for the backward classes of citizens in services under the State,” it said. The affidavit said the present challenge, however, is in relation to the validity of a constitutional amendment made wherein Article 15(6) and Article 16(6) have been inserted, which did not exist on the book when Indra Sawhney verdict was delivered. “Indra Sawhney verdict and the findings therein can therefore have no application thereafter,” the affidavit said. The Centre contended that merely affecting or impinging upon an Article embodying a feature that is part of the basic structure of the Constitution is not sufficient to declare an amendment unconstitutional. “To sustain a challenge against a constitutional amendment, it must be shown that the very identity of the Constitution has been altered,” it said. The government said the impugned amendment is in conformity with the constitutional principles and therefore does not violates the basic structure doctrine. “That in order to provide reservation to EWS without disturbing the existing reservations for SCs, STs and OBCs, the constitutional amendment has provided for a maximum of 10-per cent reservation for EWSs in addition to the existing reservations. The limit of 50 per cent is only applicable to reservation made under Article 15(4), 15(5) and 16(4) and does not apply to Article 15(6),” the affidavit said. It said several committees were set up wherein quantifiable data was collected highlighting the need for having reservation for the economically weaker sections of the society. “Accordingly, the constitutional amendments were necessitated for providing opportunities in higher education and employment to those who have been excluded by virtue of their economic status,” it said and added that it was essential that the EWS gets access to these facilities as mandated in the Constitution.last_img read more