Harriers star wins bronze medal

first_imgThames Valley Harriers’ Mohamud Aadan won the bronze medal at the London Cross Country Championships on Saturday.The 21-year-old produced a fine performance in the 10k race, which was won last year by Harriers’ Chris Smith, who missed out this time around because of injury.Aadan took Parliament Hill in his strideAadan was part of the leading group throughout, while team-mate Sean Refer finished 15th in an impressive Championships debut.AdChoices广告Ali Yahye made a welcome return from injury for the team, finishing in 96th – and third in the Under-20 race.In the womens’ race, which was over 6k, Tracy Barlow finished 20th, Jo Mobed 34th and Jess Bass in 61st in a field of 139 finishers.Follow West London Sport on Twitter.last_img read more

German’s Restaurant fuels Capital FC

first_imgIN an act of benevolence on Wednesday afternoon, German’s Restaurant made a monetary contribution to Capital Football Club, one of the country’s new football clubs, based in Linden.A cheque valued G$100 000 was presented to the club’s skipper and national junior player, 17-year-old Andre Myers, by businessman Clinton Urling at a simple ceremony, witnessed by national beach footballer Keon Sears and goalkeeper Norbert Sansculotte.Also present were Regional Secretary Dameion Forrester and Seon Holland, brother of the club’s president and former Linden Mayor and boxing promoter, Carwyn Holland.Urling posited that football and sports in general bring communities together, forge unity, develop good health and help to reduce crime, among several other benefits.He said German’s Restaurant will continue to support any initiative that helps to develop communities.Forrester, speaking on behalf of the Region 10 club, thanked Urling and German’s Restaurant for the contribution to the newest football club in Linden. He stated that the club is also involved in community development work through several projects.The club is also on the verge of assembling a female team, Forrester reported. Currently, Capital FC has three teams, namely Under-17, Under-20 and a senior group, who will compete in the Super Cup starting Sunday.last_img read more

England thrash Bulgaria after game halted over racist abuse

first_imgBy Angel KrasimirovSOFIA (Reuters) – England bounced back from their first tournament qualifying defeat for 10 years with a 6-0 thrashing of toothless Bulgaria on Monday in a Euro 2020 Group A clash marred by racist incidents in the first half that stopped the gameThe match at the Vasil Levski stadium was temporarily halted by the referee in the first half under a three-step UEFA protocol to tackle racist abuse from the crowd.Racist chanting was heard from the stands and reported by England players to manager Gareth Southgate, with the referee informed and a public announcement made on two occasions.“The officials were onto everything very quickly,” said Southgate. “We reported everything very quickly when we heard things.“I explained to the players that if anything else did happen in the second half we would be coming off. We all saw the second half was calmer and that allowed our players to do their talking with the football.”Ross Barkley and Raheem Sterling both scored twice after Marcus Rashford opened the scoring and captain Harry Kane finished off the rout, Bulgaria’s heaviest home defeat, as the visitors recovered from a 2-1 loss to Czech Republic on Friday.England, who moved closer to a place at Euro 2020, are top with 15 points from six games, three ahead of the Czech Republic and four in front of Kosovo who beat Montenegro 2-0.EARLY VICTIM England debutant Tyrone Mings was an early victim of racist abuse, turning towards the fans when chants were aimed in his direction. Croatian referee Ivan Bebek stopped the game in the 28th minute after Raheem Sterling was a target for abuse.A group of black-clad Bulgarian fans, some of whom were making right-wing salutes, were moved from an area behind the dugout with home team captain Ivelin Popov trying to appeal to the supporters in a heated discussion at halftime.Popov did not even go to the dressing room, attempting to explain to fans that their behaviour was unacceptable.European soccer governing body UEFA had ordered the Bulgarian Football Union to partially close the Vasil Levski national stadium for England’s visit after supporters were found guilty of racist behaviour in matches earlier this year.On the pitch, Barkley struck twice after Rashford score in the seventh minute as Southgate’s side highlighted the gap in quality with the hosts before Sterling netted before halftime.England’s victory was rounded off by Sterling’s second goal midway through the second half and a cool finish from Kane five minutes from the end against bottom side Bulgaria.“We have no class,” coach Krasimir Balakov said of his side. “I understand all the people who have bought tickets and wanted something different, but against this England team, with this dynamic, and with these players that cost millions…”last_img read more

GFSCA sending Under-15 team to Florida to participate in youth tournament

first_imgTRADITIONALLY known for organising softball cricket in and out of Guyana, the Guyana Floodlight Softball Cricket Association (GFSCA) has put together an Under-15 team for the first time to participate at the annual Cricket Council United States of America Open Youth Tournament to be held from December 20 to 23, 2019 at the ICC-approved Central Broward Regional Park, Lauderhill, Florida. Since its inception, this tournament has grown from strength to strength and is now in its 11th year for senior teams and the third year for youths.The management of the GFSCA has started preparation with several practice sessions at New Trafford, Dennis Street, Georgetown. As the weather permits, more sessions will be held at grounds in and around Georgetown. Two T20 practice matches will be held on December 17 against Berbice powerhouse youth team Blairmont.Several more should be played in Georgetown prior to this, weather permitting.The GFSCA Under-15 youths will be led by Transport Sports Club and national youth player Alvin Mohabir. The team also consists of West Indies Under-15 batting star Mavendra Dindial, National youth all-rounder Zachary Jodha v/capt, Jonathan Van Lange and Demerara Under-15 opener Romeo Deonarain. The management of the team is boosted by former West Indies captain, Ramnaresh Sarwan as manager and former national player, youth coach and senior selector Hubern Evans as the coach.The full team reads: Alvin Mohabir, Nicholas Shiopersad, Gabriel Rookhum, Arun Gainda, Zachary Jodah, Romeo Deonarain, Nityanand Mathura, John Persaud, Mavendra Dindial, Jonathan Van Lange, Dave Mohabir, Ravindra Singh, Stephon Sankar and Premkumar Permaul. Ramnaresh Sarwan – manager, Hubern Evans – coach, Ricky Deonarain – assistant manager, Davanand Mohabir – physio and Lalta Gainda – technical analyst. Official sponsors for the Guyana Floodlights Youth team are Survival Group of Companies, Ramchand Auto Spares, RUBiS Guyana, Tropical Spring Waters, Ariel Enterprise, Trophy Stall, 4R, Nauth Motor Spares, Mike’s Pharmacy, Motor Trend, Rohan Auto Spares, Steve’s Jewellery, WJ Enterprise and Clear Waters.last_img read more

Bravo fails to save Windies as Ireland take Twenty20 series lead

first_imgST GEORGE’S, Grenada (CMC) – Veteran Dwayne Bravo’s return following a three-and-a-half-year break ended in disappointment as a feisty Ireland stunned West Indies by four runs in the opening Twenty20 International here yesterday to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series.In fact, the 36-year-old all-rounder was one of two wickets to fall in a dramatic final over, bowled by 20-year-old left-arm slow medium Josh Little as West Indies, chasing a demanding target of 209, failed to gather the 13 runs required off the last six balls of the contest at the Grenada National Stadium.Left-hander Sherfane Rutherford, who struck 26 off 13 balls, holed out to long-on off the first ball in search of his fourth six but Bravo then clobbered the next delivery over the ropes at wide long on to reduce the target to seven runs from four balls.A couple down the ground off the third ball meant the Windies were in the driver’s seat needing five runs from three balls but Bravo turned down a leg bye off the fourth ball before picking out Gareth Delany in the deep on the leg side.With five needed from the final delivery of the game, Hayden Walsh Jr missed a desperate swing, leaving the Irish to celebrate their first win of the tour, in the wake of their 3-0 whitewash in the preceding one-day seriesLeft-handed opener Evin Lewis top-scored with 53 from 29 balls while captain Kieron Pollard got 31 from 15 balls, Shimron Hetmyer, 28, and Nicholas Pooran 26.Paul Stirling taps one on the offside in his top score of 95 for Ireland. (Getty Images)However, Ireland snatched wickets at key moments especially through Little, who bowled brilliantly to finish with three for 29 and seamer Craig Young who claimed two for 31 from an excellent four-over spell.West Indies had earlier found themselves virtually paralysed by Paul Stirling’s brutal career-best 95 from 47 balls as Ireland stormed to 208 for seven off their 20 overs after choosing to bat first.The veteran right-hander bludgeoned six fours and eight sixes – mostly straight hits – and shared a whirlwind first-wicket stand of 154 with Kevin O’Brien whose 48 came from 32 deliveries and included four fours and two sixes.Both gladly indulged in the feast prepared by undisciplined West Indies bowlers, plundering a record 93 runs in the first power-play, to be 130 without loss at the halfway stage.Medium pacer Bravo, whose first over leaked 18 runs after he was maltreated by Stirling, finally got the breakthrough when he hit O’Brien’s off-stump with a deceptive yorker in the 13th over.He conceded just 18 runs from his last three overs to finish with two for 28.Stirling was eyeing a maiden hundred when he holed out to Lewis at deep mid-wicket off leg-spinner Walsh in the following over and quickly, Ireland had lost both their set batsmen.Left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell (2-37) and left-arm spinner Khary Pierre (2-45) then put the shackles on the heavy scoring and it was left to Delany’s 12-ball 19 and 15 extras – including 10 wides – to get Ireland past 200.Needing to score at nearly 10-½ runs per over, West Indies were well ahead of the required rate thanks to Lendl Simmons who pummelled three fours and a six in a 14-ball 22, as he added 37 off 21 balls for the first wicket with Lewis.When Simmons sliced Young to cover in the fourth over, Lewis and Hetmyer kept the scoreboard ticking over in a stand of 56 for the second wicket.Lewis, fresh from a hundred in last Sunday’s third ODI, stroked six fours and three sixes before lofting Young to be taken on the cover boundary by Harry Tector.Hetmyer, who struck three sixes in an 18-ball cameo, followed 12 balls later but Pooran added 36 for the fourth wicket with Pollard and 44 for the fifth wicket with Rutherford, to keep West Indies in the chase.However, the momentum swung Ireland’s way when off-spinner Simi Singh removed Pollard to a catch in the deep in the 15th over before Little struck the key blow, having Pooran caught at backward square in the penultimate over.last_img read more

NSC blesses GCF with $2M towards CARIFTA Junior Chess Championship

first_imgTHE Guyana Chess Federation (GCF) became the latest entity to benefit from the National Sports Commission (NSC), receiving $2M towards its hosting of the CARIFTA Junior Chess Championship. The event will be held over the Easter weekend at the Ramada Hotel.Seon Erskine, the NSC’s Technical Development Officer, made the presentation to the Chess Federation, who was represented by head of the Local Organising Committee for the Championship, John Lee, and Anand Raghunauth, the Federation’s Chess-in-Schools Coordinator.Both Lee and Raghunauth thanked the NSC for its timely intervention and urged the public to come out and support the Championship.last_img read more

Bermuda’s Eve signs permanent deal at Spennymoor

first_img(CMC) – BERMUDA goalkeeper Dale Eve has signed a permanent deal at English National League North club Spennymoor Town after joining the County Durham outfit until the end of the season in February.The 25-year-old, 6ft 4in Eve, who starred during Bermuda’s run in the CONCACAF Gold Cup and Nations League last year, made a lasting impression, despite playing in only one league match for Spennymoor Town – a convincing 4-0 win over Hereford.Eve also impressed in the Durham Challenge Cup.“I’m pleased to re-sign with the Moors,” Eve, whose terms were undisclosed, told the club’s official website.“For me, playing football isn’t just a job. I look at all the time and energy I’m going to put in at a club and I want to feel comfortable about where I sign. The Spennymoor family did that for me. I felt like it was an environment that I could really grow and showcase my potential.”“The manager (Jason Ainsley) as well as the team have welcomed me and made me feel like a part of the family. I’m looking forward to what next season will bring for us,” he addedEve began the 2019-20 season at Bermuda club Robin Hood before returning to England to relaunch a professional career that had previous stops at Derby County, Stoke City and Forest Green Rovers.“Dale was exceptional when he came into training and had to be patient to get his first league start,” Ainsley said.“He is a very big presence in and around his 18-yard box and showed in the Hereford game that he has all the attributes and qualities to play a lot higher.“We are delighted that he has signed for us despite competition from other clubs.”Spennymoor Town were in sixth place in the league when the season was abandoned because of the global Coronavirus pandemic.last_img read more

Lamine Diack will die in jail if sentenced – defence lawyers tell court

first_imgPARIS (Reuters) – Lawyers for former world athletics chief Lamine Diack, who is on trial for corruption, on Thursday protested their client’s innocence and said the 87-year-old would die in jail if sentenced to a prison term.French financial prosecutors on Wednesday sought a four-year jail sentence for Senegalese Diack, saying he and his son, Papa Massata Diack, were at the heart of a scheme that solicited bribes worth millions of euros from Russian athletes to cover up failed doping tests and allow them to continue competing.Prosecutors had sought a five-year sentence for Papa Massata Diack.Lamine Diack’s lawyers on Thursday said there were “no tangible elements” proving Lamine Diack’s participation in the scheme, and put the blame on his absent son.“One has to distinguish between the son and the father,” said defence lawyer Simon Ndiaye, adding that Diack’s main fault had been to hire his son as a marketing consultant for the Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), a position that he abused. The IAAF is now known as World Athletics.Stressing the fragile health of Lamine Diack, his second defence lawyer William Bourdon said: “Sending him to the jails of the Republic can only be a death accelerator”.This was the last day of the trial. The verdict is slated for Sept. 16.last_img read more

Sharapova Still Faces ITF Hearing into Meldonium Use

first_imgis still facing a hearing after testing positive for meldonium, despite recent World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) pronouncements.The drug was added to WADA’s banned list at the start of the year and five-time Grand Slam championSharapova tested positive at the Australian Open. However, WADA issued new guidance earlier this week which said that athletes who tested positive for meldonium beforeMarch 1 could have bans overturned, as the agency was unable to establish how quickly the drug cleared the human body.The statement appeared to offer a lifeline to Sharapova, who is currently serving a provisional ban, but the ITF saidon Thursday that the Russian still faces a hearing and possible sanctions.The ITF statement read: “In light of the recent notice from WADA regarding the process for dealing with cases involving meldonium, the ITF can confirm that the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme case involving Maria Sharapova will proceed to a hearing in accordance with WADA’s recommendations. “The ITF does not intend to make any further statement until completion of this process due to the confidentiality of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.“The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme is a comprehensive and internationally recognised drug-testing programme that applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP, and WTA.“Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon a finding that an Anti-Doping rule violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed in accordance with the requirements of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and World Anti-Doping Code.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Wembley to Host Tottenham’s Champions League Matches Next Season

first_imgTottenham’s third-place finish in the Premier League qualified them for the group stages of next season’s Champions League, which means they will play at least three home matches in the competition.Their north-London rivals Arsenal hosted Champions League games at Wembley in 1998-99 and 1999-2000.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Tottenham have reached a deal to play their Champions League home games at Wembley next season. The Premier League club also has the option to play all home league and cup matches, as well as any European games, at the national stadium during the 2017-18 campaign.Spurs are having a new £400m stadium built next to their existing White Hart Lane ground. The development is due to be completed in time for the 2018-19 season.“Our season ticket waiting list is over 50,000 so this now also offers us a great opportunity to provide more of our supporters with a chance to see the team play live during our Champions League campaign,” said chairman Daniel Levy. “Importantly, as we know it was our fans’ preference, it means that we can play our home matches in London during our season away.”last_img read more